Written by Michele Armellini
Edited by Nikola Vrtis
Cartography by Michele Armellini
Illustrated by Michael Harmon and Eric Hotz
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
32 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1415
Always Available – Click here to buy!
A Spire to Godliness
The church: so central to medieval times, it can be difficult to grasp today. Communities poured great resources into monuments built in awe and fear of God. Now perhaps viewed as stone skeletons from a pious past, cathedrals were the most impressive structures of their era . . .
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral presents a grand example of such an imposing edifice. Though fictitious, it is based on fact and suitable for use in any place and time that can call its Gothic corridors home. Open these pages and you shall:
- Explore the immense structure from crypt to roof, discovering the artwork, relics, and other contents of each room. Detailed maps (including variants that preserve this site's secrets) present all of the features mentioned in the descriptions, while GURPS stats spell out the challenges faced by visitors bent on unscrupulous entry.
- Learn key details about the community that supports the cathedral, including local political problems and prominent people. A map shows the church's location relative to other significant buildings in its vicinity.
- Become acquainted with notable priests, lay workers, and other locals who might be found at St. George's. Discover why the church is often the perfect meeting place.
- Unearth a dozen adventure ideas involving the cathedral, plus several lenses to customize the locale to different campaign styles and settings – whether as a place of power, a modern-day curiosity, or a despoiled former jewel.
- Peruse an extensive list of inspirational resources that can provide GM and players alike with more information about church architecture, religion in the Middle Ages, fitting fictional plots, and specific real-world cathedrals.
Lightning flashes, illuminating the silhouettes of the gargoyles perched on the edge; their stony faces betray no emotion as they await your visit to St. George's Cathedral. Will entry bring your heroes closer to the divine . . . or remind them of their own insignificance amid the endless echoes?
- Check out the rest of the GURPS Locations series for more ready-to-use locales, including Matt Riggsby's GURPS Locations: Tower of Octavius!
- A cathedral would be an especially appropriate (and ambitious) project for a campaign featuring GURPS Low-Tech – especially the rules and information from GURPS Low-Tech Companion 1: Philosophers and Kings.
- Even devoid of magic, this cathedral is something else. And if there is magic in the world, St. George's might be even more powerful. Get inspiration for magic-infused campaigns from GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Thaumatology.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!