Written by Jason "PK" Levine
Illustrated by Angela Bostick and Dan Smith
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
51 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-0328
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Not All Threats Are Born From Nightmares
Until now, GURPS Monster Hunters has focused on the paranormal: Champions, often empowered by magical and mystical abilities, face supernatural monsters from myth and legend. GURPS Monster Hunters 5: Applied Xenology is here to prove that horror meshes with science, too!
Applied Xenology offers choices for your Monster Hunters campaign. Are the heroes masters of tech, the supernatural, or both? If magic exists, does it rely on willpower and Hermetic knowledge, or on properly programmed computers? Do the monsters the hunters face hail from our world, the third level of Hell, another planet, or all of the above? Applied Xenology will help you find answers:
- "Scientific" character revisions. Every supernatural-themed template from GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions and GURPS Monster Hunters 4: Sidekicks is discussed in depth and (where possible) revised to fit a focus on the scientific rather than the paranormal. What happens to the sage if magic doesn't exist? Does Mysticism have a place in a world without demons and undead? How do warriors stay relevant in the face of TL9+ weaponry? Find answers to these and many other questions.
- Technomagic. This revamp adds a "sheen of science" to Ritual Path magic – but it's more than just a reskin! Technomages need computer hardware and software to operate at full power, creating spells as programmed "scripts" they can run immediately, save, or even email to a friend. And it all works whether you're using Champions or the detailed system in GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic.
- Aliens. Terrifying extraterrestrial threats have always had a special place in modern horror, and now your hunters can protect the Earth from them. From classic conspiracy fodder such as Greys, Nordics, and Reptoids to straight-up monsters like Devourers and Insectoids, there's an alien race to fit any plot the GM cooks up (and suggested "close encounters" to provide inspiration).
- And more! Face invisible danger in the form of insidious plagues. Convert supernatural monsters to a more "scientific" form. Play aliens as inhuman PCs. And load up on – or invent – new gear.
Applied Xenology provides more options – for your champions, settings, and bad guys – so that you can run the game you want. We've given you the tools . . . now go save the world!
- Check out the full GURPS Monster Hunters line for more supernatural-slaying supplements!
- For superscience gizmos that can enhance a Monster Hunters campaign, check out GURPS Ultra-Tech, GURPS Bio-Tech, and GURPS Psi-Tech.
- More options for Ritual Path magic – ideal for the enhancements found herein – can be found in "Alternative Ritual Path Magic" from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!